I bought myself a pretty little notebook-cum-planner that I am constantly jotting down things in. I am so excited to cross things off that sometimes I haven’t listed a task at all but I’ve completed it. I go back and write it in and strike it off because I’ve rocked and I need to register it somewhere.
Call up hasini’s friend’s mom – done
order idli rice – done
make idli – done
pack idli – done
eat idli – done
transfer money for gift – done
Trim eyebrows – not done
- For the Basil Pesto
- Basil leaves – 1 cup
- Walnuts – 2 tbsp
- Olive oil – ¼ cup or less
- Garlic – 1 large clove chopped roughly
- Salt to taste
- For the Pasta
- Fusili (or your choice pasta) – 200 gm
- Mushrooms – 2 cups rinsed and sliced
- Chicken (boneless pieces) – chopped into 1/2 inch pieces to make about ¾ cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt as necessary
- Black pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Olive oil – 2 tbsp
- Butter – 3 tbsp
- Sliced Olives – ¼ cup
- Parmesan cheese – ½ cup grated
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions. Boil plenty of salted water, plonk pasta in and drain when al dente. Set aside. Cover to avoid the pasta drying out.
- Marinate the chicken in lemon juice, salt and pepper. Leave undisturbed for 30 mins to 1 hour.
- To make the pesto, combine all ingredients called for under pesto in a mixer grinder/food processor, except the olive oil and grind to a fine paste. Add olive oil, little at a time, scraping the sides till the pesto is a fine uniform paste. You can thin it if you want with more olive oil. Set aside. You may have a little leftover pesto after making this pasta which you can store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- To prepare the mushrooms, heat a pan. Add 1tbsp butter and then toss in the mushrooms. Cook on high heat and wait for all the liquid to evaporate. Lower heat to medium low and fry for 2-3 minutes or till the mushrooms are nice and golden. Remove fried mushrooms on to a plate.
- To the same pan, add 1 tbsp butter and then the marinated chicken pieces. Stir fry on high heat till the chicken is golden around the edges – about 3-4 minutes. Remove the fried chicken on to a plate.
- To assemble the pasta, heat the same pan. Add butter and olive oil. On low heat stir in 3-4 tablespoons of the pesto. Immediately throw in the pasta and toss to coat well. Add in the fried mushrooms and stir fried chicken and mix. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more pesto if desired. Throw in the sliced olives and top with grated parmesan cheese. Switch off. Serve hot.