The day I work out, I feel I am obligated to have that Cadbury or eat Queen’s toffee at Ibaco. As compensation. And like that, I maintain status quo, never missing a chance to level it off.
The other day after I’d done my 5 minute plank routine in 2 minutes and was resting face down, sprawled on the floor I discovered my long lost pen under the bed, a couple of hot wheels cars under the wooden almirah, Hasini’s time-table sheet, a comb, hair pins and a pencil. I closed my eyes, inhaled deeply and pretended I’d not seen any of it. I couldn’t interrupt my 10-minute rest time. I couldn’t crawl under, on my elbows and knees; that would be too much work.
I remember to not take the lift at office, I take the stairs. And when I take the stairs at office, I feel I must eat the masala vadai at tea time.
I realize I am trying hard to maintain status quo. I am afraid of change. I realize I need to meet it head on. But I don’t trust myself. I cannot trust myself to add a touch of cheese, I will smother in cheese like I did with this cheesy potato tomato sandwich. I cannot indulge responsibly, I cannot eat a small square of chocolate. I have to compulsively finish that bar of chocolate. I cannot exercise portion control with biryani. Can anyone?
So I joined a gym yesterday. I wanted to hand myself over to the instructor, tell him to work me all-out no matter what I say later, no matter the excuses I give. It was his duty to reduce me by 1/6th. I didn’t want to scare him the first day. I kept my mouth shut.
This cheesy potato tomato sandwich is one of those healthy sandwiches that turned out a bit cheesy. If you’re master of your will, you can leave out the cheese. But I wouldn’t recommend that. Nevermind my recommendation if you are master of your will.
I smear a thin layer of green chutney spread on bread slices, arrange sliced onions, sliced tomatoes and boiled, sliced potatoes, season with salt and pepper and top with a dash of cheese. I slather (you can lightly brush if you like) butter on both sides of the sandwich and toast to crisp, goldenness. Enjoy!
Speaking of change, there is a lot of change coming up on Foodbetterbegood. I’ll keep you posted on all of those.
Cheesy potato tomato sandwich
Cheesy, yummy sandwich.
- Bread – 1 loaf
- Green chutney spread – 3/4 cup
- Onion – 1 sliced into thin rounds
- Tomato – 1 sliced into thin rounds
- Potatoes – 2 boiled peeled, sliced into rounds
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper powder – a pinch per sandwich substitute chat powder if you wish
- Grated cheese any variety – 2 cups
- Butter – ¼ cup
- Ready all the components and have them handy – sliced veggies, bread slices, butter, grated cheese, chutney spread and seasoning.
- Lay out 6 bread slices on a cutting board in two rows. Spread the chutney spread on all the bread slices. On the 3 bread slices in the top row, arrange a couple of sliced onions, tomatoes and potatoes. Sprinkle salt and black pepper powder or chat masala powder. Top with a generous helping of grated cheese. Use the slices in the bottom row to cover up the ones in the top row to make the sandwich. Press lightly and gently spread a large dab of butter on the top of the sandwich.
- Heat a tawa.
- Slide a flat spatula underneath the sandwich and flip it on to the tawa quickly so that the buttered side is down. Now butter the unbuttered top of the sandwich. When the bottom is golden brown, flip and cook till the other side is golden too. Repeat with all the sandwiches.
- Serve hot.