Being slightly fat is one thing. Being that with a skinny sister is the next level challenge. You would have had to hear a lot of un-funny jokes from relatives and family friends. My parents decided to have one of each kind. She was always too lazy to eat. There have been times when I’ve fallen asleep without eating dinner but woken up with a start in the middle of the night remembering that I’ve not eaten and then gone and had dinner. This has happened more than once. She’d choose plain dosai and I’d go for Ghee roast. She didn’t care for sweets. You couldn’t pry the sweet box away from me. We were inherently wired differently. When shopping together as kids, she had pants in every shade while my size came in only the one shade I already had. I threw a fit, came home and ate Paal Khova.
Studies suggest that first born children are fed with greater zeal and fuss than the younger siblings and are therefore predisposed to eat well at all times. First born kids grow up imbibing it as their foremost duty and may compromise anything but not eating.
She has been trying forever to put on weight. I’ve been trying forever to lose weight. My mother continues to feed me piping hot vadais which she turned down.
There’s one thing I did right. I married right – another first born well-rounded person. I now have company in feeling lousy about missing gym, in eating biryani while on a diet. It doesn’t feel as bad while doing it together.Like I always say, the right company can make anything feel better – tough work-task, long drawn meetings, boring movies.. anything.
I have for you the recipe to some delicious and super-quick chicken tortillas today. These tortilla chicken wraps are unbelievably simple and quick to put together. I was pleasantly surprised that I comfortably made these on a school day morning and packed it off for lunch with time to spare. The only prep work is the wee bit of chopping and grating of cheese. I use packaged tortillas too. The entire cooking time is under 15 minutes. It cannot get simpler or yummier than this. Serve these wraps with tomato salsa or sour cream or just as is. It’s best had fresh off the stove – simple, earthy cumin spiced chicken, fresh coriander and melty cheese all wrapped up in warm, olive oil toasted tortillas! Delicious. You need to try this. Let me know if you make it.
Chicken Tortilla wraps
- 400 gm Boneless chicken, diced
- 4 Flour Tortillas
- 2-3 Capsicum/peppers, chopped
- 1 Onion, cut into quarters and layers separated
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp Sugar
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 cups Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Coriander leaves, chopped
- Squeeze of lemon juice (optional)
- Heat a thick bottomed pan. Add 2 tbsp olive oil to the pan. When the oil turns hot, add the chopped onion and fry for a minute, followed by the chopped peppers. Fry for another 2 minutes. Add the diced chicken and cook until they turn white. Add the spice powders, salt and sugar and mix well. Cook for another 3-4 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the flavours have melded. Switch off and allow to cool slightly.
- Heat a tawa. Place a tortilla on a cutting board and arrange about 2-3 tbsp of the chicken mixture on the tortilla. Top with coriander leaves and grated cheese. Optionally squeeze a bit of lemon. Roll the tortilla tightly. Brush the wrap with olive oil and place on the hot tawa. Turn over making sure all sides of the wrap are toasted. Remove from the pan and place on cutting board. Wait 2 minutes before slicing the wrap into two. Serve with tomato salsa or as is. Enjoy!