The only reason people make smoothies out of greens is because they don’t know how to make Keerai masiyal. The other reason could be that it is way simpler. If you have half an hour, you can make this keerai masiyal. My personal favourite way to have keerai is Keerai masiyal. Stir in greens into cooked dal and cook just until the greens are cooked through. Blend to desired consistency and top off with a fragrant hot oil tadka.
Keerai rice for kids and the non-dieting, non-fat privileged lot and a big bowl of keerai masiyal for you. You see, no extra effort and no separate menu. A big bowl of this keerai masiyal makes a nutrient rich, super-filling lunch. Pair it with a slice of toasted brown bread or a boiled sweet corn cob like I did. Done and done.
This is a perfect meal for my project 50k – low carb, healthy and nutrient-packed. Happy dieting!
- Keerai/Greens – 1 bunch
- Toor dal – 1/4 cup
- Onion – 1 chopped fine
- Tomato – 1 chopped fine
- Green chillies – 3 chopped fine
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Asafoetida – a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Cooking Oil – 3 tsp for tempering
- Mustard seeds – ½ tsp
- Whole dry red chillies – 4 broken into halves
- Crushed garlic – 4 cloves with skin
- Pick the leaves from the greens/keerai and discard the stems. You can use any type of keerai/greens available to you. Soak keerai leaves in a large bowl of water and let the dirt settle. Repeat a couple more times till the water runs clear.
- In a pressure cooker, add rinsed toor dal, chopped onion, tomato, garlic, green chillies, turmeric powder and asafoetida. Pour in a cup of water and pressure cook for 15 minutes or till dal is cooked soft.
- Mash dal well. Add the cleaned keerai leaves to the pressure cooker. Mix well. Cover loosely with a plate and cook on low till the leaves are wilted and cooked through, about 5-8 minutes. Switch off and let cool.
- Once cool, use an immersion blender to blend to your desired consistency. I like to keep it a bit chunky and not go all the way.
- Heat oil in a small tadka pan. When the oil is hot, drop in red chillies and mustard seeds and wait for the mustard seeds to splutter. Add crushed garlic cloves to the oil and stir around till the garlic cloves turn golden brown. Switch off.
- Pour the tempering mixture over the blended keerai. Mix well. Enjoy!